Have a chally jolly Christmas

21 Dec

Roughly 78% of Americans identify with the Christian faith, and so for most of America, December 25th is a big enough deal. For the remaining 22%, Christmas is just another federal holiday that means a day off from work!!

Just because you don’t celebrate the birth of the most famous man to ever walk this earth, doesn’t mean you can’t make the best use of this Christmas holiday! Keep reading for suggestions on how to enjoy your day off while others celebrate.

Django Unchained hits theaters Christmas Day

Django Unchained hits theaters Christmas Day

Go to the Movies
This is pretty common for Americans Jews, order Chinese food and go to the movies because well, no one else will be there! This year see Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino’s Western film about a slave (Jamie Foxx) who is promised freedom if he helps a bounty killer (Christoph Waltz) capture the murderous Brittle brothers.

Nuyorican Poets Cafe 2nd annual Christmas Eve show

Nuyorican Poets Cafe 2nd annual Christmas Eve show

Take in some culture
A place like the Nuyorican Poets Cafe gets REALLY crowded on a regular night, but on Christmas Eve most of the Nuyoricans are probably at home with their families. Check out the Got no tree slam on December 24th for a nice evening of poetry with your fellow “non-believers”.

Get that money
If your place of employment is one of the few that DON’T close go to work and make some money!! It is just another Tuesday after all right? For you this’ll either be an easy day as you’ll have minimal actual work to do, or a great opportunity to make overtime if your company permits.

Casinos offer cheap rates during Christmas

Casinos offer cheap rates during Christmas

Make (or lose!) that money
In addition to the movie theater, another venue that never closes is the casinos. On Christmas hotels  tend to be cheaper and practically empty. Head out to Atlantic City or Las Vegas for the cheap casino night.

Host a party
Okay, so technically I guess it is a “Christmas party” if you’re hosting it on Christmas eve but really, it’s just another excuse to see your friends and eat/drink. Make cool cocktails, serve hors d’oeuvres, and invite everyone you know that isn’t busy wrapping last minute gifts.

Someone else’s holiday is never a reason for you to feel left out, no matter how big or fun it may seem. If a mainstream holiday doesn’t apply to you, don’t sweat it. Either treat it as a normal day or find ways to take advantage of the opportunities that may come to you due to others preoccupation with the holiday.

Advertisements

Speak on it...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: